How to fix the display of Cyrillic (Russian) encoding in Windows 10
Fix display of Cyrillic letters in Windows 10There are two ways to solve this problem. They are associated with editing system settings or certain files. They vary in complexity and effectiveness, so we'll start lightly. If the first option does not bring any result, go to the second and carefully follow the instructions described there.
Method 1: Change the system language
- Open the Start menu and type "Control Panel" in the search bar. Click on the displayed result to go to that application.
- Find "Region" and click on this icon.
- In the menu that opens, click on the "Administrative" tab, where you need to click on the "Change system locale ..." button.
- Make sure that the item "Russian (Russia)" is selected, if it is not, then select it in the pop-up menu. I can also recommend activating the beta version of Unicode, as this sometimes helps to solve the problem with the display of the cyrillic. After all the edits, click on OK.
- The changes will take effect only after restarting the PC, so we restart it.
Method 2: Editing the code pageI strongly recommend that you create a restore point before performing this method, it will help you revert the configuration before making your changes, if something goes wrong after them.
- Hold down the Win+R key combination, type regedit in the line and click OK.
- The Registry Editor window contains many directories and parameters. All of them are structured, and the folder you need is located along the following path:
- Select "CodePage" and go down to the bottom to find the name "ACP" there. In the "Data" column you will see numbers, in the case when 1251 is not set there, double-click on the line.
- In the window that opens, enter 1251.
- After the change, restart the computer and check if the problem is solved. If the value is already 1251, you should do a little different things:
- In the same folder "CodePage" go up the list and find the string parameter with the name "1252". On the right you will see that its value looks like c_1252.nls. It needs to be corrected to c_1251.nls. After you finish working with Registry Editor, be sure to restart your PC for all changes to take effect.